THE PREMISE:When we let go of judgment, everything is possible. Experience a whole new way of writing, which combines meditative flow, nonjudgmental presence, and the opportunity for greater self-understanding. Combined with compassionate witnessing without expectation of praise or criticism, this experience awakens your creativity and expands the possibilities for your life and your writing. Develop and nurture a new habit of daily writing that will set you free, whether you are a seasoned or beginning writer. This individualized, one-on-one mentoring program is not about the craft or product of writing, but about discovering what flows through you onto the page when you are free of concepts about what writing has to be.
- Begin to experience moving beyond rules and agendas; creating in spite of doubts, worries, and concerns
- Sharing work that is not “perfect”; practicing trust in what flows from your own hand
- Experiencing the safety of knowing there is no grading, no critiquing, no editing, no comparing; only witnessing without judgment
- Exploring a new process for initiating creative flow
- Exploring what happens when your pen begins to move and you have a non-critical, supportive audience
- Decide on a time of day that you can consistently set aside for your writing (e.g., first thing in the morning, last thing before bed, lunchtime...whatever works)
- Have a separate notebook or a folder in your computer for this writing only
- Set a timer for 10 minutes
- When the timer starts, your hand begins to move across the page (or type, if you're using a keyboard). You don't stop, you don't edit, you don't reread what you wrote. You "lose control" for those 10 minutes.
- When the timer stops, your writing stops.
- If your flow is strong, you can continue on a different page for as long as you want. But for the PRACTICE, it is important to have a container for your 10 minutes of writing, and to acknowledge yourself for doing that 10 minutes each day that you do it.
- Do not read your writing immediately. At this point, you send it to me. I will read everything you send, but I will respond in writing only once a week.
- The nature of my responses will be sharing my experience as a human being receiving your stories, images, and process. I will let you know what I am curious about, and what I want to hear more of. My responses will NOT be edits, critiques on how you might improve, or suggestions for how to publish your work.
- In our phone conversations, we will discuss your process, what you are discovering, and anything else that comes up.
THE MAGIC:Ah, there's that. The magic comes from both of us being fully present in this commitment together. When I read something you've written, it may inspire something in me that I want to share - a story, a quote, something I've experienced and learned from. I am free to share that with you during this process, at the right time for you. And this timing makes all the difference in the world, I believe. You can read stacks and stacks of books, go through programs filled with great wisdom, and attend workshops and retreats from the best teachers, but knowing when to apply the right lesson for you is the art of it all. This process facilitates the art of being present, and all the creative flow that comes from that presence. And that applies to both of us.
- A daily, 10-minute writing practice for 30 days
- Weekly written responses from me (never an auto responder, always individualized)
- One-on-one mentoring and individualized feedback:
- One 20-minute phone check-in after the first week
- One 50-minute phone conversation during week three or four of the process
This program is for you if:
- you’ve always secretly wanted to write, but never set aside the time because it didn’t seem “practical” or possible…
- you’re a regular journal writer and writing is your mode of processing, but you never considered sharing your stream of consciousness with another person…
- you write for a living, but have little time or space to write without any agenda. It’s time for a creative boost or to explore a new direction with your writing…
- you don’t consider yourself a “writer” but this sounds like an exciting and safe way to dip your toe in the water with a compassionate witness…
- you’re going through a life transition, experiencing lots of different emotions that are hard to put into words right now, and would like to achieve some clarity…
- you’ve just made a big life decision and it feels slightly scary. Some support right now would be welcome as you navigate uncharted territory…
THE TIMING - 2014:
Writing Day #1 - October 15, 2014
Writing Day #30 - November 13, 2014
Individual phone check-in (20 minutes) #1 - Week of October 20, 2014
Individual phone coaching session (50 minutes) - Week of November 3 or 10, 2014
*Note: Additional 30-day programs to be offered in 2015:
February 2 - March 3, 2015
April 1 - 30, 2015
...and stay tuned for others!
INVESTMENT:$1,295 paid in full -or- two payments (billed 30 days apart) of $695 Special offer for previous coaching clients: $895 or two payments (billed 30 days apart) of $495
Ready to begin?Apply now! Here's how: 1. Do your first 10-minute writing exercise. Need a prompt? Ask me. I'd love to send you one! 2. Send it to me. You can scan or take a photo of your handwritten pages, and attach it to an email. 3. Book your phone interview to make sure this is a good fit for you, and to answer any last-minute questions you may have. Please send your writing to me at least 24 hours before your scheduled phone appointment. Once we're set to go, you will receive an email from me one week before the start of the writing experiment. Note: The 30-day writing experiment starts on October 15, 2014.
Tuesdays, 2pm to 4pm
$100 each session of four classes paid in advance, or $30 drop-in each class
Cash or check (payable to "The Music Within Us") accepted for drop-in payments.
Limited income: $20 drop-in per class. Supporter: $160 session of four classes
Three sessions will be offered in 2014:
Session 1: Planting & Tending the SeedsMay 6 May 13 May 20 May 27 at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, Moss Beach (rain location: Here Comes The Sun Coffee House, 8455 Cabrillo Hwy, Montara, (650) 455-4308) We will meet at the stunning coastal gem, Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. Beginning with a short hike in silence, we will gather our circle in the shelter of the cypress grove, with views of the sky, the ocean, and the resting seals. *If you have not read E-Squared before, please read from beginning through the end of Experiment #1 before the first meeting.
Session 2: Growing & RipeningJune 3 June 10 June 17 June 24 at Quarry Park, El Granada Our gathering place will be next to a labyrinth in a eucalyptus grove at the peaceful Quarry Park. We will begin with a short hike in silence, arriving at the labyrinth to create our circle. *If you have not read E-Squared before, please complete reading from the beginning through the end of Experiment #5 before the first meeting.
Session 3: Harvesting & SharingSeptember 9 September 16 September 23 September 30 *Please complete reading the E-Squared book in its entirety before the first meeting. at Maverick's Beach, Pillar Point, El Granada Under the open sky of this protected cove, we will gather near another labyrinth. Birds and sea mammals may pay us a visit. A short hike from the parking lot begins our journey as we harvest and share the fruits of our intentions, and gather the seeds for next season's planting. **WE WILL MEET IN THE PARKING LOT at 2:00, and walk together to our meeting place.**
- identifying problems
- formulating goals
- making judgments
- comparing current experience to past experience
- interpreting results and building models
“Retraining the mind is much like potty-training a puppy. You need to keep taking it outside and showing it the beauty, the majesty, the truth.” – Pam Grout, author of "E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality" (New York Times bestseller)I devoured this book in one sitting, because I couldn’t wait to see what all nine experiments would involve. In one entertaining, short book that is easy to read, Pam Grout touches on all the major spiritual principles and invites us to be scientists in our own lives. She's read all the major self-help gurus, taken their workshops, gone to the conferences. And she's lived their lessons in her own way. She captures what she's learned with humor, simplicity, and clarity so that anyone can begin to explore how our thoughts create our own reality. Don’t take her (or my) word for it, do the experiments yourself. Be willing to prove yourself wrong, and be open to whatever shows up for you. Let’s start "potty-training our puppy" minds together, share stories of our own experiments, and bring greater awareness of the magic available to us in our everyday lives. Connect more deeply with what you truly want, and learn principles and techniques for inviting it to show up in your life, starting right now.
Format:Come to the first session ready to discuss the Introduction, Preliminaries, and Experiment #1 chapters. If you’ve already done Experiment #1, great! We’d love to hear your results. At each meeting, we will begin by sharing our “Lab Results Report” from the previous week’s experiment. We will then discuss the coming week’s principle and set up our new experiment for the week. Come with a playful attitude and genuine curiosity about how your thoughts can create your reality.
When:Every Wednesday for 7 weeks starting October 9th, ending November 20th - **PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE...WE WILL FINISH THE BOOK IN TIME FOR YOU TO SET UP YOUR OWN ENERGY EXPERIMENTS FOR THE HOLIDAYS!** Come to any OR all of the sessions. Please read the appropriate chapter(s) of the book before you arrive. See the schedule below.
Two options:1. Meet in person every Wednesday at 10am-11:45am, in the gorgeous eucalyptus groves of Quarry Park, Santa Maria Avenue, Half Moon Bay. Bring a blanket or chair to sit on. We may take a short hike to our meeting place.
Directions to Quarry Park: From Highway 1 north of downtown Half Moon Bay, turn east (away from the ocean) on Coronado (this is the stoplight at surfer's beach). Turn left at stop sign onto Avenue Alhambra. Take first right onto Avenue Cabrillo. Continue to the end of the divided boulevard, and take a left onto Columbus.Follow Columbus slightly to the right and you will see the parking lot on your right. There are also small signs for Quarry Park along the streets from Highway 1.2. Meet on the phone every Wednesday at 5:15pm to 7:00pm (Pacific Time). Toll charges may apply.
Dial-in: (605) 477-2100
Access code: 958748#
Listen to the recording from the first meeting here. (Not all calls will be recorded....just a sampler provided here!)