THE PREMISE:When we let go of judgment, everything is possible. Experience a whole new way of writing, which combines meditative flow, nonjudgmental presence, and the opportunity for greater self-understanding. Combined with compassionate witnessing without expectation of praise or criticism, this experience awakens your creativity and expands the possibilities for your life and your writing. Develop and nurture a new habit of daily writing that will set you free, whether you are a seasoned or beginning writer. This individualized, one-on-one mentoring program is not about the craft or product of writing, but about discovering what flows through you onto the page when you are free of concepts about what writing has to be.
- Begin to experience moving beyond rules and agendas; creating in spite of doubts, worries, and concerns
- Sharing work that is not “perfect”; practicing trust in what flows from your own hand
- Experiencing the safety of knowing there is no grading, no critiquing, no editing, no comparing; only witnessing without judgment
- Exploring a new process for initiating creative flow
- Exploring what happens when your pen begins to move and you have a non-critical, supportive audience
- Decide on a time of day that you can consistently set aside for your writing (e.g., first thing in the morning, last thing before bed, lunchtime...whatever works)
- Have a separate notebook or a folder in your computer for this writing only
- Set a timer for 10 minutes
- When the timer starts, your hand begins to move across the page (or type, if you're using a keyboard). You don't stop, you don't edit, you don't reread what you wrote. You "lose control" for those 10 minutes.
- When the timer stops, your writing stops.
- If your flow is strong, you can continue on a different page for as long as you want. But for the PRACTICE, it is important to have a container for your 10 minutes of writing, and to acknowledge yourself for doing that 10 minutes each day that you do it.
- Do not read your writing immediately. At this point, you send it to me. I will read everything you send, but I will respond in writing only once a week.
- The nature of my responses will be sharing my experience as a human being receiving your stories, images, and process. I will let you know what I am curious about, and what I want to hear more of. My responses will NOT be edits, critiques on how you might improve, or suggestions for how to publish your work.
- In our phone conversations, we will discuss your process, what you are discovering, and anything else that comes up.
THE MAGIC:Ah, there's that. The magic comes from both of us being fully present in this commitment together. When I read something you've written, it may inspire something in me that I want to share - a story, a quote, something I've experienced and learned from. I am free to share that with you during this process, at the right time for you. And this timing makes all the difference in the world, I believe. You can read stacks and stacks of books, go through programs filled with great wisdom, and attend workshops and retreats from the best teachers, but knowing when to apply the right lesson for you is the art of it all. This process facilitates the art of being present, and all the creative flow that comes from that presence. And that applies to both of us.
- A daily, 10-minute writing practice for 30 days
- Weekly written responses from me (never an auto responder, always individualized)
- One-on-one mentoring and individualized feedback:
- One 20-minute phone check-in after the first week
- One 50-minute phone conversation during week three or four of the process
This program is for you if:
- you’ve always secretly wanted to write, but never set aside the time because it didn’t seem “practical” or possible…
- you’re a regular journal writer and writing is your mode of processing, but you never considered sharing your stream of consciousness with another person…
- you write for a living, but have little time or space to write without any agenda. It’s time for a creative boost or to explore a new direction with your writing…
- you don’t consider yourself a “writer” but this sounds like an exciting and safe way to dip your toe in the water with a compassionate witness…
- you’re going through a life transition, experiencing lots of different emotions that are hard to put into words right now, and would like to achieve some clarity…
- you’ve just made a big life decision and it feels slightly scary. Some support right now would be welcome as you navigate uncharted territory…
THE TIMING - 2014:
Writing Day #1 - October 15, 2014
Writing Day #30 - November 13, 2014
Individual phone check-in (20 minutes) #1 - Week of October 20, 2014
Individual phone coaching session (50 minutes) - Week of November 3 or 10, 2014
*Note: Additional 30-day programs to be offered in 2015:
February 2 - March 3, 2015
April 1 - 30, 2015
...and stay tuned for others!
INVESTMENT:$1,295 paid in full -or- two payments (billed 30 days apart) of $695 Special offer for previous coaching clients: $895 or two payments (billed 30 days apart) of $495
Ready to begin?Apply now! Here's how: 1. Do your first 10-minute writing exercise. Need a prompt? Ask me. I'd love to send you one! 2. Send it to me. You can scan or take a photo of your handwritten pages, and attach it to an email. 3. Book your phone interview to make sure this is a good fit for you, and to answer any last-minute questions you may have. Please send your writing to me at least 24 hours before your scheduled phone appointment. Once we're set to go, you will receive an email from me one week before the start of the writing experiment. Note: The 30-day writing experiment starts on October 15, 2014.
Oceanside Retreat with Dr. Lisa Chu
A note from Lisa:
Walking the path of creativity - shining the light on how you can create the life you truly desire - is the work I am honored to do with my life coaching clients. I have found that there are many dimensions to this work, many layers to explore as we cultivate the courage to walk again and again through the doorway of Not Knowing and into the realm of joy.
While conversation is the centerpiece of the coaching relationship, I cannot help but notice that my work with clients feels incomplete without including the body, the soul, and the mind together in one place, as one unified expression of harmony. I have longed for a way to bring together and share the many elements and practices that have truly supported my journey of discovering that each of us is an artist - yes, that means you, too. Your art is your particular life, and you are here to weave together the many strands that keep arriving in your experience to create the life that only you can live.
This retreat is my offering to you, my clients and those who are curious about experiencing, in three-dimensional reality, this magical realm I call "Beyond Knowing".
I welcome you to my home, and there I will invite you to come home to yourself. To experience casual comfort, peace, freedom, intimate connection to yourself + nature + others, awe, and wonder. To discover a new kind of luxury - the luxury of being YOU.
The intentionYou will take home from this retreat:
- at least 5 new ideas for starting your day differently....to infuse qualities of inspiration and vision into each day, from the first moment you wake up
- a list of potent self-care practices you discover for yourself...how to spend "down-time" in a way that rejuvenates, nourishes, and allows your SoulBodyMind the space it requires for wholeness
- writing prompts and exercises to reconnect you rapidly with the truth of the present moment
- ARTifacts of your own creation that will remind you of your inner vision and true nature
- whole body experience and tools to begin practicing present moment awareness in your daily life
- powerful, simple self-coaching methods to release old stories fearlessly and stand compassionately in the gift of "now"
- engagement with the natural world as your teacher, and concrete ways to bring this into your daily life
WhenFriday, November 1, 2013 through Sunday, November 3, 2013 (Begin at 3pm Friday; end at noon on Sunday)
Half Moon Bay, California – our epicenter will be my home, just fifty steps from the beach.
We will be working both indoors and in various outdoor locations for our activities. All of the photos on this page are locations in Half Moon Bay, and many of them will serve as the powerful teachers and messengers for our work together. Details on our starting location will be provided when you register.
Creating a sacred circle of support Stillness and silence Movement and sound Reflection and self-expression (writing, speaking, art-making) Deep listening and sound healing Walking and sitting in natural outdoor spaces Mindful eating Individual and group engagement Rest and play
Sample Schedule (subject to change)Friday, November 1, 20133pm to 5pm Opening Session
Casting the sacred circle of support
Setting intentions for the weekend
Evening on your ownSaturday, November 2, 2013*optional 6:30am Beach meditation *optional 7:00am-7:45am Breath and energy work on the beach Breakfast on your own 9:00am to 12:00pm Morning Session
Inward reflection and grounding of the circle
Activities will include reflection, some form of expression, and sharing of experienceLunch provided (organic, locally sourced) 1:30pm to 4:30pm Afternoon Session
Playful exploration of nature, the body’s expressions, and enlivening the senses
Practices to engage with the doorway of Not KnowingFarm-to-Table Dinner provided Evening – New Moon Ceremony Sunday, November 3, 2013*optional 7:30am Meditation *optional 8:00am – 8:45am Breath and energy work at the beach 10:00am to 12:00pm Closing Session
Holding intentions and dreams from this weekend
Completing and closing of the circle
How to RegisterREGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. Full payment of $550 is due at the time of registration.
The price above includes the Retreat experience, and lunch and dinner on Saturday. Price does not include airfare, lodging, ground transportation, or other meals. Retreat is limited to six participants.